Brief History of E.E.P.A.A.
The Greek Society for Autistic Persons (GSPAP) is a charitable organization, founded in 1992 and today has more than 1000 members, parents or siblings of people with autism, and scientists working on autism.
By decision (1074/1993) the Athens Court approved its Statute, and by special decision of the Prefecture of Athens (6183 / 06.11.1997), the GSPAP Specifically identified as Charity Association.
In addition since 2003 it has been included in the National Register of Private Non-profit Organizations, which provide social care services (Official Gazette 541 / 02.07.1997, GG 3101 / 11.18.2014).
The Society has the purpose to work for the rights to life of autistic persons, that is persons suffering from the syndrome of autism and other similar conditions in which the autistic elements prevail and determine the needs of daily life, education, treatment and lifelong protection.
As a nationwide Organization, GSPAP has branches in Thessaloniki, Ioannina, Chios, Volos, Piraeus and has associate members of other associations of parents and caregivers of people with autism in Alexandroupolis, Chania, Larissa, Patras and Athens. GSPAP also participates in E.S.A.me.A. and International Organizations, such as Autism Europe and the World Autism Organization.
The actions of GSPAP focus on information society, support for families of people with autism and intervention for establishing services and structures of the state and include:
- Organization of lectures and workshops on autism for parents and specialists
- Organization of a European Conference on Autism 1995
- Conduct 2 Seminars skilled experts in autism, one lasting 600 hours
- Establish a single library for Autism in Greek
- Ensuring, through its own struggles, rights of people with autism in the health-care and education in 4 Greek State’s Laws and struggle for the implementation of relevant international conventions by the Greek State
- Residential: the House of Autistic Persons "ELENI GYRA" for 12 adults with autism in Zitsa Ioannina with state subsidy
- Operation of the Day Centre for 22 adults with autism "Sirius" in Gerakas, with state subsidy
- Study the construction and operation 3 other Support Centres for Persons with Autism in the prefectures of Magnesia, Thessaloniki and Attica, with a grant of the European Union
- Operation parent support groups, organization of entertainment Saturday-Sunday and organization 2 Festival for People with Autism
- Participation in the camp program P.O.S.G.K.A.me.A every year for more than 20 years
Participation in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th Half Marathon Athens
- Participation in the 30th, 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 34th, 35th and 36th Athens Marathon in Authentic 2018 as the official passing carrier